Natural Hair

This isn't cute anymore:

I’m 31, the new 30 and I’m closer to my goal than when I started this blog. Now I’m trying to stay on the path that will get me healthy and on the other side of the clothing store. I’ve had my revenge moments and they felt great. Now I’m ready for more of those great moments, maybe this year I’ll propel down something, who knows. But I’m held back by 40 less things.







Tuesday, November 2, 2010

T minus 59, will I make a dream come true?

At the wedding reception I meet a very interesting and nice lady. She belongs to a Roller Derby league and invited me to stop by and check it out. I’m not sure if I mention my last time on roller skates but the party ended when I was looking up at the ceiling, flat on my back. But since then I had seen Whip It and watching it I had this feeling of “I want in”. I’ve only ever really gotten that feeling when I saw a couple salsa dancing with ease and sexuality, but then I remember how poorly my prior experience went and how even in my younger days I wasn’t a great skater. The breaking always seemed counter intuitive so to stop I would slow down and WHOMP! slam into the side wall by the exit. So graceful, I know. But I’m thinking that I’m probably going to fall a lot more in life and why not fall doing something I could really enjoy and be good at. And yes the part I really responded to was the clotheslining and hitting part, but I’ve always had a “contact sport” streak in me. I hope to get out of work at a decent hour to go check that out.

As for that workout that is to be followed up with running a mile, I did it! Mikey had use do a circuit of stations again. First were sit ups, my back has gotten stronger so these didn’t hurt as much as soon. Then there was something new, The Speed Skater. This exercises made me feel terribly uncoordinated and jiggly in the thigh area, but it worked the inner and outer thighs.




Next up were the beloved burpees, which apparently he’s added the push up to. Side note, before my hiatus when ever we had to do push ups I did the first 5 real woman style, on my toes. The most consecutive pushup I did was 10. So when you’re in the pushup position is when you do it.




Then there was the “bench jump”, which is just jumping onto a weightlifting bench. Now my vertical isn’t that high, but my clumsiness in a gym setting is so I did step ups, Mikey came over to correct my form, I was stepping up into a squat position, but in order to get out of that exercise what he intended I had to stand all the way up and squeeze the glutes, why did I say “Got, I’m lock the ass...LOCKED”? I guess I’m just getting comfortable; at least he got the reference, at the very least the joke and laughed.

Next was the horizontal pull up, we had done this before and I think I did a total of 5, but during one round I did 20! I would love to do a pull up so I can earn my badass badge, but this is what it looks like.





Then a 30 second break and we did it all over again. There’s this one guy that’s become a regular and then me and then oddly enough always 2 ladies that don’t know each other, but never the same 2 ladies. We ended with burpees and the guy and I both agreed that we could throw up a little, but it was a good workout. Then I went to fancy gym for my mile run, a weigh in and a shower.




Now I’m off to see if I have what it takes to be a roller derby girl. As for names, I was thinking Chestee La Rue or Babycakes

No comments:

Post a Comment