Natural Hair

This isn't cute anymore:

I’m 31, the new 30 and I’m closer to my goal than when I started this blog. Now I’m trying to stay on the path that will get me healthy and on the other side of the clothing store. I’ve had my revenge moments and they felt great. Now I’m ready for more of those great moments, maybe this year I’ll propel down something, who knows. But I’m held back by 40 less things.







Monday, November 1, 2010

I am not dead

I am not dead, but apologetic for my absence. I’ve not giving up on life and resigned myself to the couch eating bagfuls of bulk chocolate candy, although at times it seem like a really fun activity. I have been less strict with my food, but still active. I’m still enjoying kickboxing and I’ve started running again. I think I get off on people witnessing my badassness, explains the blog.

We had C’s bachelorette’s party at the National Harbor. It was tame calm, but fun. There was tons of laughter and just a good time was had by allWe saw Cirque Du Soleil’s Ovo. Oh to be that flexible and then we had a steak dinner (I split a prime rib with a friend). We called it an early night and the next morning I decided to go see about this fancy hotel’s gym.

While the machines were state of the art they were not the easiest to work. Apparently it limited my speed to 4.7 based on my age perhaps, but it was frustrating to run at 4.7 while listening to Beyonce, I wanted to run to the music not this painfully slow speed, but after a bit I resigned myself to the speed and just kept going, with a visit from my roommates who were outside the gym smoking. And I realized as a stream of sweat snuck into my eyes burning and monetarily blinding me, that I had come a long way and I ended up running 3.2 miles (a little over 5K) in 25:56.





It’s just so much easier to run on a treadmill. I still haven’t taken it to the streets, but I do want to sign up for another race on Halloween morning. I think I’ll do this one alone and see how hard I can push myself. I’m sure I won’t get treadmill time, but hopefully it will be in the 40s, as long as it’s not in the 50s I’ll be happy.

Then came the wedding…

First thing’s first, the C, the Bride looked gorgeous, her mom mad her dress and there were many a touching moments. I found a cute dress that I had to have taken in before the wedding. There were a few people that I hadn’t seen in over a year and I was a surprise to them. The attention is lovely and awkward at the same time, while I’m flatter all I can think is wow, I must have been really really huge because I’m still a big girl. But I digress… the morning of the rehearsal we all milled about and I decided what better time to run than at 10am on a beach board walk. My roommate A came along, but when we hit the boardwalk informed me that she didn’t want to run in her shoes and her knee hurt and I was disappointed felt held back. After 5 minutes I decided that I would run a block and just wait for her which turned into running every other block and then running back to walk with her. I did break a sweat, but it wasn’t much. When we got back to the hotel I decided to check out their gym which was 3 sad machines that worked, sort of. The treadmill had a jerky movement that only went away when you ran, but it being VA Beach I doubted anyone really went to the hotel gym.

Then came the getting ready and the dress didn’t fit there was a good inch and a half between the zipper in the back…but my dress fit perfectly. That was my roommates dress, she some how swelled up. I remember trying to keep my voice controlled and even as to not alarm her until we just couldn’t get the dress on her. We fought that thing onto and I’m still amazed it got on her, she told me later that she had a back up dress, but that it meant a lot to her to wear that dress to the wedding and I felt bad because there was a moment when I was relived it wasn’t me that couldn’t fit into my dress. My dress was fitted and I accepted the help of the Spanx gladly. I have a thin friend who says she sees spanx as cheating and while I can see her point I told her it must be nice to believe that. It smoothed out some misplaced curves.


This part contains not nice things and anger…

The thing about weddings is that it reunited friends from all over which is usually a good thing unless one of them betrayed you and made you feel silly for trusting them in the first place and then irrational for realizing the relationship was worth holding on to, sometimes a person can run out of forgivingness. Now I have hurt feeling and harsh words and try to hold my tongue. When I was asked what I thought when I saw her I could only respond “Nothing nice.” But I wanted to say so many things like:
It’s a nice dress too bad it can’t minimize her shoulders
It’s comforting some things don’t change, like her lumbering linebacker walk in heels.

Did I get to wear my wow dress? No, that bloodly thing still wont fit. Did I look better than her, I think so. Do I feel like I got my revenge? A little, but she left early which was fine because it freed me up to have a good time on the dance floor.


Now on to the reception….

The Bride C was just as stunning if not more so on the evening of the reception (a day after the VA Beach ceremony in Rosslyn). The space they got for the evening had an amazing view and they had the best food I’ve ever had at a wedding, but how do you not please with fillet mignon and lobster.

On to me. I wore the dress I wore at the last wedding I went to and it was a little loser, but fit just as well. My sister who took the picture said I was liable to go home with someone, but seeing how I had meet all of the Grooms friend I thought it was highly unlikely seeing how if nothing had happen yet, the wedding wasn’t going to change anything. Besides I’m looking for something a bit more real than a random wedding reception one night stand.

1 comment:

  1. Glad that you areback. Sounds like you had a great time. I would have loved to see pics.

    So many things taht you wrote ring try: Whenever, I see people and they tell me that I have lost so much weight, I can't help but tink, "DAMN, how big was I before?" Even though when I look in the mirror I look the same.

    I saw OVO last year, it was FANTASTIC one of the best moments of my life! If I was rich I would go and see every Cirque De Soleil show.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete